BYOC: Build Your Own Computer – The Cyber Security Edition
6 Week Program:
From computer hardware to system software and security, BYOC is that hands-on experience where participants learn the full range of IT fundamentals from building a computer to securing a network from cyber-attack. Participants will
- Break down and rebuild a computer system
- Learn how a single computer system interacts and functions as part of a multi-system computer network
- Design the cyber security to protect computer networks from hackers and attack
- Receive industry level instruction and training from our proprietary Vet-Cyber cyber security platform.
- Develop soft skills, communication skills, and personal and business financial literacy through engaging workshops in language arts, etiquette, and wealth management
BYOC introduces students to the concept of computers and technology. Students will learn the history of computers and the Internet. Students participate in interactive building of systems and learning the critical parts of the computer. Students will
- Learn the main purpose and parts of computers
- Break down and rebuild computer systems
- Assemble PC components
- Install operating systems
- Install anti-virus & malware software
- Perform tests on new systems
- Troubleshoot and identifying problems
Course Also Includes
Wired vs Wireless
Computers communicate the same way that people communicate. In this learning session, students will learn how computers communicate. Students will work on a series of projects that will allow them to connect computers into work groups and domains. Students will also work on building Smart Rooms and utilizing wireless technology.
What is Raspberry Pi?
The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card-sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. Once constructed by the students, it can be used in electronics projects and for many of the things that your desktop PC does - like spreadsheets, word processing, plays high-definition video, browsing the internet, and playing games. Future camp sessions will use the already constructed Raspberry Pi and learn programming and digital making.